Deadline to apply: March 17, 2017 – 5:00 p.m.
Independence Now, a Center for Independent Living, is a nonprofit organization created by and for people with disabilities. We are a resource and advocacy center that promotes independent living and equal access for people with all types of disabilities. Independence Now assists residents of Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties to use community services and resources that will enhance their independence.
Independence Now’s core services are peer counseling, individual and systems advocacy, information and referral, independent living skills training and transition services for youth and those returning to the community. Our mission: We advocate and embody independence and equality for all people with disabilities.
The Director of Independent Living Services is a leadership and management position that is fundamental to the delivery of independent living services at Independence Now. This position works to maintain all independent living funding sources including database management and reporting, as well as searches for new funding opportunities. It also supervises all Independent Living staff (at least 3 people), recruits and trains new staff and provides overview training to all new organizational staff. The position facilitates ongoing independent living skills group events and provides regular communication to consumers and members. The Director of ILS represents the organization for outreach, at trainings, on committees and on behalf of the Executive Director as needed. This position interacts with many members of the community: consumers, family members, other advocates, state/county agency employees, elected officials, community organization staff as well as funders. Therefore, excellent verbal and written skills are imperative.
- understanding of the history and commitment to the philosophy of Independent Living;
- knowledge of laws affecting people with disabilities and civil rights;
- experience with CIL Suites Database system;
- good typing and computer skills, familiar with Microsoft Office programs;
- excellent attention to details and skills in problem solving;
- prior work in Independent Living or with a CIL;
- ability to find, use and build community resources and partnerships;
- supervisory experience;
- experience in planning and organizing group activities;
- ability to stay positive and focused during hectic days;
- knowledge of housing, how to access social services and other community resources;
A Bachelor’s Degree is desired; work experience may be substituted. Background check required. Candidates must have 5 years of work experience with a minimum of 2 years in a supervisory role.
Position details: 40 hours per week. Salary depends on experience. Good benefits. Minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Send resume and cover letter to: Independence Now, 12301 Old Columbia Pike, #101, Silver Spring, MD 20904 or email@example.com.