- Part-time Position
- Deadline to apply March 17, 2017– 5:00 p.m.
Independence Now, a Center for Independent Living, is a nonprofit organization created by and for people with disabilities. We are a resource and advocacy center that promotes independent living and equal access for people with all types of disabilities. Independence Now assists residents of Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties to use community services and resources that will enhance their independence.
Independence Now’s core services are peer counseling, individual and systems advocacy, information and referral, independent living skills training and transition services for youth and those returning to the community from institutional settings. Our mission is to advocate and embody independence and equality for all people with disabilities.
All Independent Living Specialists serve as a role model; assist with self-directed goal setting and achievement; direct consumers to appropriate services and programs and serve as an advocate. The position also works individually and in group settings with consumers to assist with increasing their ability to obtain housing and gain knowledge of housing opportunities. The IL Housing Specialist will carry a caseload of consumers for whom housing is their main goal and those consumers who have obtained housing through PRA 811 program or the Weinberg program. The IL Housing Specialist is responsible for working directly with consumers to identify their housing goals, walk through obtaining housing and then support to maintain housing. This position will work to create relationships with local housing contacts. Administrative duties include completing intake with consumers, hosting housing seminars for consumers, creating ILPs with goals, writing case notes and attending housing advocacy meetings as needed.
- understanding of the history and commitment to the philosophy of Independent Living;
- knowledge of or ability to learn about laws and civil rights;
- the ability to communicate effectively with individuals with disabilities;
- knowledge of local, statewide and national housing policies;
- understanding of obligations of tenancy, leases and home modifications
- ability to find, use and build community resources and relationships with Housing authorities;
- strong desire to support people to lead the lives they choose;
- experience in planning and organizing group activities;
- understanding of local housing stock and housing accessibility;
- good typing and computer skills and tracking of case notes;
- excellent attention to details;
- exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
A Bachelor’s Degree is desired; work experience may be substituted. Background check required. Candidates must have 2+ years experience in housing related field.
Position details: 24 hours per week. Salary depends on experience. Minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Send resume and cover letter to: Independence Now, 12301 Old Columbia Pike, #101, Silver Spring, MD 20904 or email@example.com Please reference position.